Benefits arising from the construction and operation of the proposed Ballydermot Wind Farm project will include:
- A Community Benefit Fund
- Supporting up to 150 -200 jobs at peak construction
- Substantial rates paid to the relevant Local Authority
- Supporting a number of long term, high quality technical jobs in operations and maintenance
- Upgrading of the road infrastructure in the vicinity of the wind farm (as required)
- Payment of taxes from the project, and dividends from Bord na Móna to the State
- Indirect employment created through the sub-supply of a wide range of products and services
Amenity and Recreational Facilities
A high-level amenity plan will accompany the planning application. A draft version of the plan is now available.
- View the Draft Amenity Plan Booklet for more detail on the proposed amenity plans for the development.
A good example of one of our existing wind farm amenity facilities is Mountlucas Wind Farm in North Offaly. The site consists of a 10km walkway / cycleway around the wind farm in addition to interpretative signage, outdoor exercise equipment and a learning hub which is utilised by various school and college groups for educational purposes and day trips. In 2021, the wind farm welcomed over 50,000 visits to its amenity facilities.
Community Benefit Fund
Similar to our existing wind farms, it is envisaged that an annual Community Benefit Fund will be set up for the proposed Ballydermot Wind Farm once the project is operational.
As the project is at an early stage of its development, the exact nature and structure of a proposed Community Benefit Fund is not known at this time, albeit we would envisage it being similar in type to our existing Community Benefit Funds which include:
- A Community Gain Scheme – providing funding to local community and not-for-profit organisations
- A Near Neighbour Fund – providing an annual electricity contribution and once off support to carry out energy efficiency measures and/or education support to residents within a prescribed distance of a turbine.